Friday, August 29, 2008

Meme from The Dunadan

Where were you at these times?

31st August 1997 - Death of Princess Diana.
It was a Sunday morning and I was up early getting ready to go to church when I heard the news on the radio.
Can't remember if I was actually leading the service that Sunday, but imagine turning up to lead the prayers and not be aware of news of this level of importance!

22nd November 1990 - Resignation of Margaret Thatcher.
It was a Thursday so I would have been at school but I remember watching her on the news later - driving away in that car, close to tears.

11th September 2001 - Attack on the Twin Towers.
A Tuesday this time. DH and I were on holiday in Cornwall. We were walking along the coastal path. That day we walked from Porthleven to Praa Sands. About 4pm we came down from the cliff and found a cafe on the beach. There were no other customers and the radio was on. The girl behind the counter asked if we'd heard the news, and told us to listen... Very quickly we realised we had 2 children in the USA. Thanks to the Dunadan who answered the phone at home and then phoned our mobiles, we knew within the hour that both of them were safe.

4th July 1990 - England v Germany - world cup semi final ???????
No idea - Scotland weren't in it and I'd have been thinking about my birthday the next day!

22nd November 1963 - Assassination of President Kennedy
I always thought this was while I was a student and getting ready to go to the Friday night Christian Union meeting - but by this time I had started my first teaching job at the the school I attended as a child. ( I only ever went to one school - for 14 years!)
Iwonder if I'd gone back to Aberdeen on a weekend visit.
One thing I have learnt doing this, is that my memory is not as good as I like to think!

19th April 2005 - Election of Cardinal Ratzinger to the Papacy
I only remember watching it on television when The Dunadan came home from work.
Re reading my diary for this time, I regret to say that I have included 3 cuttings about the previous Pope who had just died, and not a word about Benedict XVI. Apologies...
It was just after dsil had decorated our front room, and just before the wedding of Charles and Camilla.

No comments: