Thursday, May 7, 2009

HMS Illustrious

Yesterday we went to Greenwich to see this huge aircraft carrier. I say huge, but one man told me they make them twice as large these days! I think this was my best photo with the Swiss Re (Gherkin) in the background,
The fly past consisted of Merlin, Sea King and Lynx helicopters, then some fixed wing planes - can't remember what they were. They were celebrating 100 years of the Fleet Air Arm.
Our departing view as we walked along the Thames Path. You can see the hillside behind the Royal Naval College in the background. The Royal Observatory is just off to the right.
We were nearly opposite Canary Wharf when we stopped to take this photo - the camera was zoomed in at 12x. 4 helicopters had just passed us and landed on the deck - you can see them lined up in front of the funnels.
This last one was taken from the same place, then cropped in Picassa. Not a bad camera, my new one!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

bachman said...

An impressive array of an impressive array on an impressive day in an impressive bay, I'd say!

Hevs said...

Lovely photos! just a quick visit and we are pleased to announce tix booked for 27 july!