Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lemon Sponge Pudding

Last week my good friend, Moggie, gave me two lemons to use up, as she was going away for the week. I completely forgot that I was going away too!
Needing to use the lemons quickly, I remembered a recipe given to me by my mother in law, Katherine Irene Mann. I can hardly read the recipe in my splattered notebook, but here it is.
Ingredients
5ozs caster sugar
2ozs SR flour
2ozs butter
2 separated eggs
2 lemons
1cup of milk
Method
Cream butter and sugar
Beat juice and rind of the 2 lemons along with the egg YOLKS only. Add milk to this mixture
At this stage, beat the egg whites 'to peaks' and add to the mixture after the flour
Fold in the flour
Add egg whites
Put mixture in an oven proof dish
Put this dish in a second one with some water in it.
Bake for about 45mins in a hot oven.
During baking the lemon sauce sinks to the bottom while the sponge bakes at the top.
You can see the separated layers in this photo.
You can see here how delicious it is!
The first 2 photos were taken by Evie on my camera - a Panasonic TZ6
I took the last one. Sorry to make you one eyed Evie!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

evie winter said...

The photos don't make it look appetising but just want to reassure anyone reading that cake was AMAZING and can't wait for more!