Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 1 in Paradise Garden

The reason for the green suitcase

In 2008 and 2009 I was lucky enough to be able to visit the West Indies.
When I arrived at Pointe a Pitre, I did the usual airport thing of waiting my suitcases from the carousel. I could see my grand children up on the balcony waiting to welcome me.
My suitcases were both plain black with no ribbons or anything to identfy them.
The only mark was on the lid of one where the cat had been sick the night before I left home. But wouldn't you know it, the case was upside down and this mark wasn't showing.
I had to wait until every other piece of luggage had been reclaimed and there was only my black suitcase left.
Never again, I thought. In the years that I have had the green suitcase I have only seen one vaguely similar.
The silver lining to this cloud was that by the time I reached the customs desk, all the officials had gone home and I was able to get an apple into the country without any problem. Heather was missing her apples and had specially asked me to bring her one.

No comments: