Thursday, June 19, 2008

East v West.

Recently I spoke to a someone who had afternoon tea in a teashop in Hampstead. he was with a ladyfriend - you may have seen them, she was reportedly dressed in pink from head to toe.
the tea and cakes when they came were served on a silver tray with a silver teapot and hot water in a silver jug.
Two cups of tea and three buns cost £13.80.
The same week Romeo and I had reason to be in Hornchurch. I'd had a sandwich on the train but R wanted some lunch. We went into a cafe right next to the station. There was an elderly gentleman tucking into a plate of rice pudding. I shudder at the thought of rice pudding but at the same time I felt glad he could get a hot meal somewhere if there wasn't one at home.
A plate of chips with two sausages, a Tunnocks caramel wafer, and two huge mugs of very nice tea cost £3.80.

No comments: