Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Week 4 - beginning 25th Jan.

At church; Sundayschool went well enough. This week I had 5 children, 2 of whom were visitors staying with the remaining girl. They had been involved in some sleepover. From their zombie like state, it had been a wakenover. Eventually I left them to doze and concentrated on the two boys. Having read Heather's intentional parenting blog, I decided to curb their constant chattery giggly interruptions in an intentional way. It worked very well and we had a good lesson with some intelligent answers.

This week I managed to get to my homegroup. The Monday evening to Wednesday afternoon slot had been filling up with other calls on my time. We were studying 1Corinthians 5 about various 'stituations'that might arise in the church, and how they should be dealt with. Needless to say we had a spirited discussion!

Hippo Club. This week I was asked to shadow the person who registers the carers and the children, so that I could do it in her absence next week. I had been told that it was a complicated computer programme. Thankfully it turned out to be the same as one I set up in the classroom 10 years ago. While I filled in the official legal register, the children went to the classroom computer, found their name and filled in their mark, using Excel which is a very useful facility.



At the hospital. This week I spent time chatting to 2 patients I have seen before, and 2 new ones, both of whom were Irish, from lovely places such as Galway Bay.

On the bus going up to the hospital, and elderly lady got on with her trolley. At first she refused someone else's offer of a seat(I was on one of these high ones). In the ensuing conversation with people behind me it transpired that she was about to be 100 years old in May!!



People I have seen. On the way home from the hospital, I called in at Waitrose to by some flowers, grapes and 2 luscious cakes. I said to the man at the checkout 'You can tell I'm going to visit an invalid!' Although Philippa has had an operation on her foot, she is hardly an invalid!!

As always we had an interesting chat and ended up having a photography session. A publisher has asked for high resolution photos of family heirlooms for a book about one particular family.

That evening I found out how many pixels are required for HD photos. I have enough but felt I could have done better with the photos.



News. Our previous vicar PMA has had a nasty fall and is to have his arm operated on. It involves broken and splintered bones above the elbow and in the shoulder. Also nerve damage.



On TV. On Channel 4 on Sunday evening there was an excellent programme about the history on Christianity in Britain. This episode got as far as The Synod of Whitby in 664 when King Oswiu decided to opt for the Roman date for Easter rather than the Celtic, thus setting the future direction for the church in Britain.

The History of Scotland is becoming a tad boring with endless scenes of Edinburgh and Stirling castles and Linlithgow Palace. Also, every time there is fighting or somebody killed (which is often!)we are treated to views of blood dripping from an unspecified source onto the ground. However I will still watch it for the bits of history in it.



The weather. It has been mild and damp this week. The Scottish weather forecaster on Breakfast TV called 'it murky and dreich'. She wasn't wrong!



This blog will be published early before the weekend to leave the computer free for Evie when she returns on Friday pm. so

I am looking forward to seeing Moggie on Thursday morning, going to meet MarionJ at Cheshunt and the PCC Awayday at St Mark's Church on Saturday.

No comments: