Friday, October 10, 2014

A moment in time.

4.30pm on Friday 11th October 2014

I took a cup of tea, in my favourite bee mug- the yellow one I got at the Sea Life centre in North Berwick the time I took Alyssa to Edinburgh,
and went to sit on the back door step at Heather's house.
Slowly I relaxed and became aware first of the wind rustling in the leaves of the poplar tree. They sounded very dry. Then I heard t he wind in the branches of all the other trees, especially the high ones in Martin's garden next door. The leaves on the cherry tree hung down like bunting, and the blue spruce hardly moved.
The rooks were cawing in Martin's high trees.
I could hear the roar of the planes on the tarmac at City Airport, then a quieter sound as they flew over high above.
The washing on the line was dancing and flapping in the breeze. The sun was shining on the hens' feathers making them a rich chestnut colour as they scratched and pecked on the bright green grass.
The sun was bright but there was a coolness on my bare arms, and very occasional drop of rain on my face. My fingers curled round the warm mug and traced the relief pattern of the bees.
I could smell the chicken pie cooking in the oven.
Behind me I could hear the children's conversation as they acted out the Great British Bake Off. Then  . . . I will stop there as the rest of the conversation would spoil the atmosphere as did the incident that sparked it off!!

No comments: