Sunday, October 26, 2014

Four generations of hair!

There have been issues with hair in my family for many years. It started, as far as I know with my mother, in about 1914. She cut hers at the front - and it never grew again.
After cutting her own hair, my sister went to the hairdresser to get it straightened up. She thought he hadn't noticed until just as she paid and left he said.'Now next time, no knifeadaforkada, please'! I have a photo of her showing the knife and fork effect but rather than showing that one  . . . this is the view she was looking at at the time.



Our oldest son was very fair when he was a very small child and we told him he looked like Kojak. Soon after that he got hold of the scissors and helped himself to look even more like the bald TV detective. He was a bit older than this, but his hair was still invisible from any distance!


Then during the year living in Guadeloupe, Charis, our granddaughter, cut off the very piece of hair that she twiddled while she sucked her thumb! She compensated by taking the similar piece from the opposite side.




I myself have never cut my own hair - well, not so as you'd notice, but once in a time of depression I decided to have it permed - with disastrous results. I looked like the Queen Mother! I should say I was a fraction of her age at the time. That taught me not to yearn for curly hair.
In more recent years I asked one hairdresser to cut it like Camilla Parker Bowles. That wasn't a success either. Nice at the time, but it soon degenerated into this wild look

Last week I asked the hairdresser (another one) to cut it like Annie Lennox . She was a bit doubtful but when she saw the result she was delighted and clapped her hands and complimented me on my decision!
Of course the best times were when our neighbour, Tony, cut it. He would tell me when it needed cutting and then do it with such care, not exactly one hair at a time but not far off. It was a very relaxing experience. I always thought he was a trained hairdresser, until the morning of Heather's wedding . . .


PS. When Alyssa heard about this blog, she asked if she could be in it as well. 'But you never cut your own hair,' I said. 'No, she replied, 'But there was that time when I asked Lisa (their hairdresser friend) to cut it like George in The Secret Seven' ! I was there that day and had a photo, but had no idea about George!
So here you are, Alyssa - just for you!










No comments: