Sunday, October 5, 2014

Birmingham

The Library of Birmingham - I could have spent the day here! What a perfect place! Books, books, books, internet access (plenty) , cafe, a place to eat your packed lunch, theatre, (they were perfoming Romeo and Juliet while I was there), interesting architecture, views of all of Birmingham and the hills around. And more. I had to drag myself away!



Then to the Art Gallery . . . which painting to share . . . pre Raphaelite stuff? Pissaro? Modigliani? Sisley?
I was tempted for a while by the smouldering looks of the very sexy Captain Gilbert Heathcote RN, but eventually I settled on an old friend - Erasmus Darwin. I last met him in his house in Lichfield.  He's the grandfather of Charles.

I meant to spend some time in the Cathedral - but was seduced by the Morris Dancers outside!


and followed them back to Victoria Square to watch some more of their high jumps and stick bashing dances!

Before heading back to the station to meet Evie, I got talking to a large group of Salvation Army people, who quickly introduced me to one of their number who came from Stranraer!

One taken from the library roof. In the middle of the picture I could actually see green hills - but sadly this is the moment when my camera battery died - so back the phone!

No comments: