Friday, October 3, 2014

Cumnock

I started of my holiday with a visit to Cumnock, where I was overwhelmed by the warm welcome from the Historical Society folks and from one of my oldest friends, Agnes. I had arranged to visit her on Thursday morning but when I arrived on Wednesday evening, I couldn't wait any longer!
Agnes took me to see her church - which was across the road from where I lived. I'd never been in before - but more of that in the highlights blog which will come soon.
The house I was brought up in is just behind my shoulder. When I lived here all that grass was covered with trees and bushes and I had never seen the church until a few years ago.

I spent 2  very comfortable nights in the Mercat Hotel where I was treated as one of the family. However I shall always remember that the window below the l of Hotel is where I sat up all night get increasingly despondant as the Referendum results came in!

It was weird to be sleeping across the road from the church I went to every Sunday!
I liked this view though because this is the scene of my earliest memory - I can remember walking past the white building in the middle of the picture with a red handbag in one hand and the other holding my father's hand. I was juat over 3 years old at the time.



Always a visit to an old friend - who posed - after I had wiped the cobwebs from his face!



The view from the hotel kitchen - we walked under here to school every day.


The Mercat Cross in the Square at Cumnock.

No comments: